Advanced Diploma of Interior Design
- Next Start Date: Monday the 3rd of March 2014: 9:30AM - 4:00PM BRISBANE
- Next Start Date: Monday the 3rd of March 2014: 9:30AM - 4:00PM GOLD COAST
The Advanced Diploma of Interior Design offers you the exciting opportunity to develop valuable skills and gain sound industry knowledge required to pursue a career in the dynamic field of Interior Design and Decorating.
Through a combination of advanced technical, theory-based and specialised practical components, you will acquire essential expertise, and will have the opportunity to gain experience by confidently exercising your skills and expressing their creative potential through a range of realistic client-based projects, both in the residential and commercial design sectors.
The Advanced Diploma of Interior Design addresses key aspects of training, catered to ensure industry success. These include client brief analysis; formulating and implementing a design process to realisation; product familiarisation; evaluation of the impact of global design trends; the negotiation of successful interaction with a range of industry professionals; a broad range of mediums used to communicate design concepts including sketches, technical and CAD generated drawings, the composition of presentation boards through to digital representations, 3D modelling and advanced technical and CAD generated drawings - all of which contribute to an impressive student portfolio.
During the course students will:
- Learn how to interpret and address a client brief - identifying key factors necessary to confidently propose design concepts and advise customers on the selection and specification of decorating and design products
- Gain skills in effectively communicating with a range of industry professionals - interpreting information appropriately and recognizing the value of clear and concise written and verbal correspondence;
- Explore the fascinating world of colour, both in theory and psychology, enabling students to competently select and specify colour for interior spaces;
- Gain an insight into the historical development of architecture, design and decorating - recognising and appreciating the impact that the past has on present and future trends;
- Study and apply the essential elements and principles of design, which are the primary building blocks of all successful interiors;
- Communicate and showcase design concepts through the preparation of concept, colour & finishes boards;
- Acquire knowledge regarding the structural components and construction techniques and materials employed within an interior space;
- Represent design concepts using sketches, renderings, perspective drawings, technical drafting and CAD generated drawings;
- Research the diverse and evolving range of decorating & design resources in today's industry including furniture, floor & wall coverings, soft furnishings, fixtures, fittings, window treatments, art and accessories;
- Appropriately select and quantify decorator products & calculate relevant costings;
- Assess lighting requirements and make appropriate recommendations for a specific interior space;
- Develop visual design techniques to successfully showcase concepts & decorating products;
- Explore interior space planning - recognising the relevance of human scale and ergonomics;
- Develop basic business skills and understand the value of professional practice in the design Industry.
- Learn how to interpret and address specific client briefs with a focus on small to medium scale commercial or institutional interiors;
- Identifying key factors and resolving existing design constraints, with reference to a pre-determined interior environment;
- Confidently proposing design concepts and providing professional advice on the selection and specification of decorating and design products for a specific interior space;
- Acquiring skills in effectively communicating and interacting with a range of industry professionals including contractors and consultants;
- Appropriately documenting product and material schedules and specifications;
- Communicating and showcasing design concepts through a range of medians including 3D modelling, perspective drawings, digital presentations and advanced technical drafting and CAD generated drawings;
- Researching the continually evolving global design trends and analysing their impact on our local industry.
- Interior Designer / Consultant
- Interior Decorator
- Interior Stylist
- Colour Consultant
- Visual Merchandiser
- Residential Designer / Decorator / Consultant
- Commercial Assistant / Junior Designer
- CAD Draftsperson
- Sales role within the design industry
- Home decoration/furniture store owner
- Retail Interior Decoration/Furniture sales assistant
- Home Stager
- Decorating Consultant
- Lighting Consultant
- Soft Furnishings Consultant
- Window Treatments Consultan
- Kitchen/Bathroom Showroom Consultant
- Design Product Specifier
- Decorator/Design Showroom Staff member
Qualification and Units of Competency
Course Code: LMF60208 (Advanced Diploma)
On successful completion students will be awarded the LMF60208: Advanced Diploma of Interior Design which is nationally recognised as part of the Australian Qualifications Framework. This course is the latest training package on offer, and is the most industry relevant qualification available.
On successful completion of the course students will receive competencies in the following units:
Advanced Diploma of Interior Design (LMF60208)
|UNIT CODE||UNIT NAME|
|BSBDES302A||Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms|
|BSBDES303A||Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms|
|CUVCOR09B||Select and apply drawing techniques and media to represent and communicate the concept|
|CUVCRS04B||Produce technical drawings|
|LMFID4001A||Research, analyse and apply colour for interior spaces|
|LMFID4002A||Decorate residential interiors|
|LMFID4011A||Determine occupational health and safety implications of interior effects|
|BSBDES301A||Explore the use of colour|
|BSBDES305A||Source and apply information on the history and theory of design|
|MSAENV272B||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|BSBSMB405A||Monitor and manage small business operations|
|CUFDIG304A||Create visual design components|
|CUVCOR08B||Produce drawings to represent and communicate the concept|
|CUVCRS03B||Produce computer aided drawings|
|LMFID3002A||Source and specify decoration products|
|LMFID4003A||Prepare a materials board for client presentation|
|LMFID4008A||Assess interior light and recommend light fittings|
|LMFID4009A||Research architectural styles and movements|
|LMFID4010A||Research interior decoration and design influences|
|BSBDES502A||Establish, negotiate and refine a design brief|
|LMFID5003A||Evaluate site for interior design brief|
|LMFID5001A||Design residential interiors|
|LMFID5004A||Specify structural elements, systems and services for interior spaces|
|LMFID5006A||Design interior lighting|
|LMFID5009A||Research and recommend colour and applied finishes|
|LMFID5010A||Provide interior styling services|
|LMFID5011A||Specify soft furnishings for complete interior solution|
|LMFID5014A||Use CAD applications to complete models and documentation for interior design projects|
|BSBDES601A||Manage design realisation|
|LMFID5013A||Design for small to medium scale commercial or institutional interiors|
|LMFID6001A||Resolve complex spatial problems through modelling|
|LMFID6002A||Apply 3D visualisation techniques to represent interior designs|
|BSBDES602A||Research global design trends|
|CUFANM502A||Create digital 3D environments|
|LMFID5002A||Develop a decoration proposal for a complex site|
|LMFID6007A||Select and instruct contractors and consultants|
|LMFID6009A||Produce digital presentations for commercial projects|
|SIRRMER009A||Produce perspective drawings, plans and elevations|
Course Duration:The course runs over 54 weeks plus holidays. Student's attend 4 days per week from 9.30am - 4pm (with a half hour lunch break) during the first year and 3 days per week (9.15am - 4.45pm) in the second year.
Course fees include:
- Class notes
- Use of the school's equipment
- School t-shirt.
VET FEE-HELP is a government loan scheme which assists eligible students undertaking certain courses to pay for all or part of their tuition fees. The loan allows students to study now and pay later by deferring loan repayments until your income is above the minimum repayment threshold (in 2010-2011 this was $44,911). Once you reach the repayment threshold repayments are made to the Australian Government through the tax system.
If you are eligible for VET FEE-HELP
Students may choose to pay for all or part of their tuition fees upfront for the entire course, academic year or unit of study and/or can apply for a VET FEE-HELP loan for all or part of the tuition fees. Course fees are due no later than the census date for each unit of study.
If you are not eligible for VET FEE-HELP
To secure a position in the course, student's must pay a minimum 10% deposit as a non-refundable administration fee.
AICD offers two payment options for the course - either Upfront Payment or Payment Plan:
- Upfront Payment: $19,800.00 (including the non-refundable deposit of $1,800.00 required to enrol)
- Payment Plan: Weekly or fortnightly direct debit payments debited by Ezypay Pty Ltd. Payment plans will only be accepted if set up on Ezypay's direct debit system.
- Student ID Card: $25
- Interior Design Equipment Kit: approx. $400
- 2 Textbooks: approx $100
- Printing & photocoping by student.
- Students will be required to pay for their graduation dinner for themselves and any guests. Students will be advised on the price in advance - allow $80 per person.
Required Course Equipment:
Students will need to provide the following equipment:
- Basic stationary: i.e. display folders, notepad, pens, pencils, rubber, highlighters, glue and a calculator. (approx: $80)
- USB Thumb Drive (2GB recommended minimum)
- Students will require additional materials to be used for the production of Colour & Finishes Boards. These requirements will be discussed in Class.
- Laptop computer - see requirements below.
LAPTOP / NOTEBOOK MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
Students accepted into the program will be required to have a laptop computer with a wireless network connection. The following minimum specifications are required:
- Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n
- Minimum 4Gb RAM
- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
- 2Ghz or faster processor
- Web Browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari) (free online)
- Norton Anti Virus - Students will not be allowed to connect to our network without Norton Anti Virus installed and activated.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (free online)
- Microsoft Office 2007 or higher (Required programs- Word, Excel and Powerpoint).
* Please check software manufacturers minimum system requirements. Student pricing available.
Eligible students may be able to apply to Centrelink for either Youth Allowance (for full-time students aged 16 to 24) or Austudy (for full-time students aged 25 years or over). For more information visit the Centrelink website.
Domestic Students Only
Application and Enrolment Process:
- Attend an interview at the college and complete an interview test - phone (07) 55 938 335 to arrange your interview. (If you live outside the South East Qld Region and are unable to attend an interview, contact us to have the application forms posted to you).
- Fill out and return the Application Form (this can be completed at the interview).
- Student's will recieve their acceptance/non-acceptance letter and enrolment pack in the mail - including enrolment form, payment plan forms and the student handbook.
- After reading the student handbook and enrolment forms, student's who wish to enrol must submit the enrolment form with the course deposit to secure their position in the course.
Register Your Interest in This Course
Next Course Start Dates
- Next Start Date: Monday the 3rd of March 2014: 9:30AM - 4:00PM BRISBANE
- Next Start Date: Monday the 3rd of March 2014: 9:30AM - 4:00PM GOLD COAST
- Interior Design Courses
- Full Time
- Advanced Diploma of Interior Design
- Part Time
- Certificate III in Interior Decoration
- Short Courses
- Interior Design Try a Career Workshop
- Interior Design & Decoration Short Course
- Perspective Drawing for Interior Design
- DIY Home Renovation Design
- Colour for Interior Design
- Commercial Interiors
- Floor Plans for Interior Design
- Lighting for Interior Design
- Feng Shui for Interior Design
- Textile Design Course
- Visual Merchandising
- Interior Design & Decoration Distance Course
- Upcoming Courses
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time24th May 13
- Make-Up for You25th May 13
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care25th May 13
- Fashion Retailing, Marketing & Merchandising30th May 13
- Certificate II in Nail Technology31st May 13
- Manicure & Pedicure31st May 13
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time31st May 13
- Hair for You1st Jun 13
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time8th Jun 13
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services13th Jun 13
- Fashion Photography and Styling15th Jun 13
- Fashion Styling15th Jun 13
- Airbrush Makeup15th Jun 13
- Hair Styling15th Jun 13
- Spray Tanning15th Jun 13
- Fashion Business & Merchandising15th Jun 13
- Waxing & Tinting21st Jun 13
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time21st Jun 13
- Eyelash Extensions29th Jun 13
- Acrylic & Gel Nails29th Jun 13
- Massage29th Jun 13
- Manicure & Pedicure6th Jul 13
- Certificate II in Nail Technology6th Jul 13
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care13th Jul 13
- Aromatherapy13th Jul 13
- Acrylic & Gel Nails19th Jul 13
- Fast Track Fashion Design27th Jul 13
- Diploma of Photo Imaging29th Jul 13
- Diploma of Photo Imaging30th Jul 13
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care2nd Aug 13
- Certificate II in Nail Technology2nd Aug 13
- Manicure & Pedicure2nd Aug 13
- Anatomy & Physiology Correspondence Course2nd Aug 13
- Cosmetic Chemistry2nd Aug 13
- Nutrition2nd Aug 13
- Textile Design2nd Aug 13
- Footwear Design16th Aug 13
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care24th Aug 13
- Acrylic & Gel Nails24th Aug 13
- Fashion Business & Merchandising31st Aug 13
- Waxing & Tinting7th Sep 13
- Spa Treatments14th Sep 13
- Acrylic & Gel Nails20th Sep 13
- Facial Course21st Sep 13
- Waxing & Tinting27th Sep 13
- Anatomy & Physiology Correspondence Course11th Oct 13
- Hot Stone Massage18th Oct 13
- Body Electrics26th Oct 13
- Advanced Facials9th Nov 13
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology24th Feb 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy24th Feb 14
- Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising24th Feb 14
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services3rd Mar 14
- Advanced Diploma of Interior Design3rd Mar 14
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media)3rd Mar 14
- Certificate II in Applied Fashion Design & Technology7th Mar 14
- Certificate IV in Make-Up10th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Photography)14th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Painting and Drawing)14th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Fashion Design)14th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Textile, Print & Surface Design)14th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Styling (Fashion, Image & Media)28th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Interior Decoration2nd May 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time
- Latest News
- 19/04/13 Congratulations to Jane Rogers, winner a double movie pass for completing our styling graduate survey...
- 26/02/13 AICD is expanding! AICD Brisbane is moving into a new larger campus over the next few weeks! AICD Gold Coast's Acacia campus is also expanding too!....
- 21/12/12 AICD is now closed for the Christmas holiday break and will reopen on Wednesday the 3rd of Jan....
- 21/12/12 AICD Christmas Newsletter!
- 20/11/12 VET FEE-HELP Loans now available for Diploma of Beauty Therapy, Diploma of Photo Imaging, Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services, Advanced Diploma of Fashion and Textiles Merchandising and more...
- 19/10/12 Congratuations to our students Kerry-Ann Andersson - winner of the 2012 Calico Brides Competition, Jaymi Spina - Highly Commended Award Winner and our 5 finalists!...
- 24/08/12 You are invited to the 'Head in the Clouds' parade event Wed 24th October...
- 08/08/12 New 'Try a Career Workshops' announced...
- 27/07/12 New visual arts and design courses for 2013!...
- 03/06/12 Congratulations to our fashion student Kerry-Ann Andersson, winner of the 'Fashion on James' design competition...
- 14/05/12 Congratulations to our styling student Candice Naughtin, winner of 'The Stylist's Apprentice' competition by Westfield Garden City...
- 23/12/11 AICD is now VET FEE-HELP Approved! This means that you can now access VET FEE-HELP assistance for studying in our Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Technology and Advanced Diploma of Interior Design courses!...
- 22/12/11 Merry Christmas! The AICD office is now closed for Christmas and will reopen on the 2nd of January...
- 14/10/11 New Eyelash Extension Course!
- 12/10/11 Come along to the Hello Fashion presents AICD styling graduates parade on the 4th of Nov...
- 11/10/11 Congratulations to Liezl Boshoff winner of the Highly Commended Award at the 2011 Calico Brides Competition...
- 17/08/11 Enter our Photography competition to celebrate the announcement of new photography courses!...
- 17/08/11 AICD announces 2012 January Summer School courses...
- 12/07/11 Congratulations to Sara Hultman for winning the Avenue Designer Competition final on Sunday the 3rd of July...
- 15/06/11 Evolved Designs: AICD Advanced Diploma of Fashion Design students present their collections at Sanctuary Cove...
- 11/06/11 Winter Chills and Fashion Thrills parade a success...
- 11/05/11 AICD releases new Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy part-time course...
- 09/05/11 AICD Styling students present: 'For the Love of Fashion: Winter Chills and Fashion Thrills' parade at Light Space...
- 09/05/11 Support 6 local up and coming designers showcasing their latests collections in the Evolve Fashion Showcase at Sanctuary Cove...
- 21/03/11 Over the past week we have had some problems with our Website and Emails. If you have not received a response to an email or online course enrolment from the past week, please get in touch with us as we may not have recieved your message...
- 17/12/10 Shoe Design, Make-Up and Beginner Sewing Holiday Courses starting on Monday the 10th of January! Last minute positions available - enrol now!
- 17/12/10 The AICD team wishes everyone a very Happy New Year! We have now re-opened our office, call to book an appointment to find out about our courses for 2011!
- New Holiday Courses Scheduled to run in January!
- Congratulations to Katie Styles for winning the Billabong 'Design a Bikini' Bikini Showdown Competition!
- Come to see the Unborn Treasures Show at the Sanctuary Cove Theatre on December 14th...
- Congratulations to Masa Gracanic for winning the Halloween Costume Design Competition held by the Temple Bar!
- Congratulations to Jane Andrewartha for winning the 'Runner Up' prize in the Qld Brides Design Awards 'Calico Brides' Competition!
- Come along to the 'Students Present Fashion Friday' parade on Friday 24th Sept at Temple
- Photos from the Metamorphosis Parade!
- Come along to the 'Metamorphosis...' parade Wed 18th Aug from 6pm at Lauxes'
- Congratulations to Julian Napier for winning the 'Electic Playground Club Couture' Fashion Competition!
- Photos from some recent photoshoots!
- Congratulations to Masa for winning the 'Little Green Dress' Design Award!
- Congratulations to Sam, Hazel, Sally & Stevie for their awards in the 'Style Off' competition...
- AICD is opening in Brisbane in 2010! More information coming soon!
- AIBT is now ITEC approved, giving our beauty students the opportunity to achieve international qualifications in Beauty. More information coming soon.
- Varsity Lakes Train Station is now open!
- March 2010 Intake of Certificate III in Styling course booked out. Next course starting in April 2010 - limited positions.
- Congratulations to Kylie Landsborough for her win at the Qld Bridal Design Awards last night! Also congratulations to Aubrey Wright winning the 'Highly Commended' award, Han Ho and Stephanie Mowat for winning 'Commendation' awards!...
- New dates set for January 2010 Summer School Courses
- We are now offering Interior Design Qualifications! Check back soon for more information!
- Photos from 'SIX' fashion parade held at 19Karen on the 28th of August...
- Receive a double pass to the September Issue when you enrol in the Diploma of Fashion Design / Business or Styling...
- Student's graduation parade to be held at 19Karen Contemporary Artspace on the 28th of August...
- Photos from the parade at Elsewhere on the 21st of June...
- Our street address is changing on the 1st of July due to the Council's road name change...
- Student's Fashion Parade to be held at Elsewhere on the 21st of June...
- Congratulations to Renee Enoka for winning the 'Designing A Fashion Career' competition...
- Congratulations to our styling student Sarah Rugg for winning the 'Style Off' competition...
- Congratulations to our students Renee and Olivia who have become finalists in the 'Designing a Fashion Career competition...