Photoluminescent egress path markings are essential safety elements in high-rise buildings, commercial facilities, hotels, hospitals, offices, and stadiums. These highly visible indicators help occupants locate and follow the egress exit path quickly in the event of an emergency. Additionally, photoluminescent egress path markings accelerate the entry of first responders, which can mean the difference between life and death. Since they glow-in-the-dark, people can see them even in low-light locations or situations.
Need photoluminescent egress marking for your facility? Safe-T-Nose has got you covered! We offer a complete selection of photoluminous egress marking tapes and strips, that are IBC/IFC-compliant and UL-certified. They establish a clearly marked path during power outages, making it easier for people of all abilities to safely exit the building during critical situations.
Glow-in-the-dark (i.e., photoluminescent) perimeter marking tapes are used to clearly identify and illuminate the paths to exits in buildings when the lighting systems are not working. By including them in the design and construction of a building, owners and managers can reduce the risk of people tripping or failing and improve evacuation times during emergencies.
Some of the common questions asked about photoluminescent egress markings are:
- Why should I use them? Photoluminescent egress markings will not fail. Once they are charged by an appropriate light source, they will provide a glowing path to the exit. Additionally, they can be recharged over and over again for use in the future.
- How do they work? Photoluminescent marking products work by absorbing energy from other light sources and discharging the energy as a visible glow.
- How long do they glow? The length of time photoluminescent products are active can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Safe-T-Nose glow-in-the-dark markings will visibly glow for up to 24 hours.
Emergency exit markings can be applied in various places throughout a facility. At Safe-T-Nose, we offer photoluminescent products suitable for the following applications:
- Marking the perimeter of the egress path. Our product recommendations include Photo-Glo® STNF — a photoluminescent 1-inch wide industrial polymer strip utilizing the same industrial grade solid polymer used in golf balls with embedded photoluminescent pigment, the glow-in-the-dark material. This creates a durable material that is approximately 50% brighter than the code requires. Photo-Glo comes with an industry leading 25-year warranty. S9203 — Photoluminescent 1-inch wide acrylic tape, and S9203P — Photoluminescent 1-inch wide acrylic tape with patented protective cover.
- Marking egress handrails. Our product recommendations include the STNH — Pre-curved Photo-Glo® Photoluminescent 1-inch wide industrial polymer, “golf ball”, material strip with a contoured edge for smooth surface transition.
- Marking the exit door push bar. Our product recommendations include LPB — Photo Glo® Exit door panic bar photoluminescent strip.
- Marking the exit door latch. Our product recommendations include LDL — Photoluminescent square.
- Marking obstructions in the path of egress. Our product recommendations include O150 — Photoluminescent 1-inch wide 45deg. alternating black & photoluminescent striped acrylic tape.
All Safe-T-Nose photoluminescent markings meet the necessary building, fire, and life safety codes. They exceed the following code requirements:
If you want to create a safer environment for your building’s occupants, invest in Safe-T-Nose glow-in-the-dark safety tape and strip products. To learn more about our egress marking systems and how they can benefit your facility, contact us today.